EPUB versus PDF
I finally discovered the advantages of the EPUB format over PDF for eBooks:
- The text is automatically reflowed to the size of the window
- No concept of "pages" at all, the text in a chapter can be scrolled through continuously
- The reader that I use (fbreader) appears faster on my laptop and uses less memory than PDF readers such as Okular or (horrors) Acroread
- Files are small (<500kB for an entire book)
- Foreground / background colors can be configured, this is nice if you prefer reading on a dark background
It's truly post-paper. PDF: The 15th century called and wants its fixed sized white pages back.
Recommendation: fbreader is a nice program for reading epubs on Linux. It can be found in the Ubuntu package repository.